Thursday, September 29, 2011

Grammar: A Part of this Balanced Breakfast.

I want to start off by saying that I'm not an expert, although I do take grammar seriously. I always try to use correct grammar, but sometimes if I'm in a hurry I will ignore capitalization or misspell something. I often don't use a paragraph when I should. But I have a pet peeve, and that is misused commas. Granted, some commas that are unnecessary still work in a sentence. Take this sentence for instance: "I could hear crickets chirping, and the occasional frog."
     The comma was unnecessary, but it still worked. But the commas I'm talking about are horrible, disgusting, filthy drops of sludge dripped from the engine of the anti-grammar train as it rolled through the sentence, spreading its misinformation across the world. Here is an example of that: "My favorite movie is, The Puma Man written by; Derrick Chong."
    I'm sad to say this was actually something I saw written (OK, it wasn't actually about The Puma Man, but the sentence structure is the same;) on Facebook. But something that is even sadder than that... I was watching the news, and there was a segment about the world's shortest person. He had to overcome challenges, such as bullying, health issues, and not being able to wash his hands in the sink like everyone else, but the worst part was when the news anchor said "He doesn't know the meaning of the word 'can't'."
    That seemed worse to me. I mean, contractions are NOT that hard. I mean, it's C-A-N-T, then you put a comma after the 'N' and you just raise it up!

                                 Anyway, what's your pet peeve? Tell me in the comments. If you don't have a blogger account, post it on our Facebook wall.
                               

Spaghetti, 
Master Chef.

PS- This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were removed.

PPS- Don't forget to 'like' our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tales-from-the-Burrito/175587009124711

No comments:

Post a Comment